According to many journals the LG Bridle is by now the most popular and practical bitless bridle on the global market. After many years of practical usage it has established itself in all sectors of equitation.
The main reason for this success is the overall functionality of this high-quality bridle.
The wheels with spokes are cast from the best stainless steel or brass and the leather parts consist of natural, tanned, German quality leather stitched by hand in a small German saddlery.
This is what makes each LG Bridle a unique one.
But it is not only it`s handcraft quality and functionality that makes the LG-bridle so very successful.
First and foremost the LG Bridle clearly stands out of all previously seen bitless bridles due to it`s characteristic to be easily understood by the horse.
Photo: Mielke. Monika L. on Galeno P.R.E. in the shoulder-in
Compared with other bitless bridles the LG Bridle works differently than and is suitable for experienced riders, who make great demands on the art of riding.
Photo: Mielke. Monika L. rides the thoroughbred Timeless Girl xx
Photo: Mielke. Monika L. and Frisian Jacky in the gallop pirouette
Why actually bitless riding?
In recent years, several scientific studies on the subject of dental terms were published with obvious results.
Here is a short-summary of the main results of these studies:
- The reflex conflict: In nature, you never watch a horse running and eating at the same time. These are two incompatible behaviour patterns! This reflex conflict is caused by the bit in the horse´s mouth. The horse gets into shortness of breath and is stressed at the same time. Moreover, it may happen that the soft palate, which constantly flutters by riding with a bit, shows gradually signs of paralysis. This causes a horse to express a loud breathing sound also called whistling.
- The metal bit in the horse`s mouth changes the composition of the saliva as well as riding on the reins (heisst "riding on the reins" Beizäumung?, konnte ich nicht herausfinden). This can possibly cause gastritis and colic.
- The deep inside injuries caused by a metal bit such as the damage of the periosteum of the diastema (the toohhless tract of the lower jaw) are not visible from the outside. Even if the bit is not actively used by a rider the movement of the horse causes the metal bit to beat exactly at the periosteum of the diastema. This can be proved by X-rays of countless horses which were "normally" ridden with a bit.
- The pH-value of the blood is reduced by a lack of oxygen and carbon dioxide charged air additionally remaining in the lungs. Under heavy load this can lead to pulmonary bleeding and even sudden cardiac arrest.
- The veterinary University in Hanover (Germany) has – ironically on behalf of a manufacturer for bits - found out that the tongue of the horse is tired on the gums/palate and that there is really no space for a bit. At any rate the horse`s tongue is squeezed by any draw on any bit.
- Because the horse trys to free itself of the aching bit by moving it constantly within its mouth, it easily comes to pine blockades, which in turn often lead to other blocks in the lumbar region. People who need a bite bar due to stress-related teeth grinding may confirm that this very often leads to neck and back pain.
Here are the reasons why to give up riding a horse with a metal bit:
- The horse cooperates significantly more motivated and concentrated because it must neither deal with pain nor with respiratory problems. This stress-causing factors do not exist when riding a horse with a bitless bridle.
- Without a bit in the horse´s mouth the aimed for hind quarter's activity is now significantly easier to achieve.
- As a result of the better oxygen supply the horse is of course much more powerful.
- The various reports on experiences accumulated over the years show that such many notorious bolters without steel in its mouth, no longer set this behaviour pattern on the day.
- The horse`s trust in his rider is improved enormously.
If you are - in addition to bitless riding - interested in more detailed information on scientific studies, we recommend the book "ANSPRUCHSVOLL GEBISSLOS REITEN" by Monika Lehmenkühler and Mirja Thiel that was published by OLMS Press/OLMS Publishing Company.